Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Tilbury smouldering fire

Update on the 2012 Tilbury biomass fire (which was discussed in Feb this in blog). RWE officials have now confirmed to the press that the fire was caused by self-heating of biomass pellets leading to a smouldering fire:  "it is likely that the increased levels of oxygen caused the ignition of the smouldering dust" [Utility Week].

Just to note that the wording used by RWE is not the most fortunate. It was not the oxygen which caused the fire, but the thermal conditions used to store the biomass pellets (too large piles and/or poor ventilation, etc). 

No comments:

Post a Comment